Health Risk in Hiding: Can Mold Make You Sick?

can mold make you sick

Mold is a type of fungus that can be found both indoors and outdoors. Nearly all homes and buildings have small amounts of mold and mold spores circulating through the air; the problem occurs when mold spores are present indoors and in large enough amounts to have an impact on your health. By understanding the potential health risks of mold and knowing how to react to a mold problem in your home, you can protect yourself and the loved ones living under your roof.

Can Mold Make You Sick?

Yes, exposure to mold can make you very sick indeed. The damage occurs when you inhale mold spores that are present in the air. Some people will be more affected by mold than others. For example, those with respiratory conditions such as asthma or an allergy to mold can experience more serious health consequences than those who are otherwise healthy. However, even an extremely healthy person can have adverse reactions to mold exposure. People with chronic lung illnesses or weakened immune systems (such as young children and the elderly) can also be at a more serious risk of health problems related to mold.

So, what are some of the most common symptoms to watch out for when it comes to mold exposure? Most of them are respiratory in nature, including:

  • Unexplained coughing or wheezing
  • Sneezing
  • Eye irritation

Skin rashes can also be a relatively common reaction to mold exposure, and some people who have been exposed to mold in serious amounts can even be more prone to developing pneumonia.

What if You Don’t See Any Mold?

If you or a loved one who lives in your home is showing any signs of mold exposure, it’s important that you give your home’s interior a thorough once-over for any signs of mold. While mold is pretty easy to spot, it can sometimes lurk behind walls, in attics, and in other spaces you may not think to look. Still, mold spores from attics and other hidden places in your home can become circulated through your HVAC system, resulting in serious consequences to your health. This is why it’s never a bad idea to have a professional mold inspection done at your home, even if you don’t notice any obvious spots of mold yourself.

Treatment for Mold-Related Health Problems

With less serious symptoms, mold-related health problems may resolve themselves over time once the mold in your home is removed or treated. However, those who have developed a more serious health condition, such as pneumonia or a lung infection, will need to seek professional medical treatment as soon as possible. For those with mold allergies and/or asthma, symptoms can sometimes be controlled with anti-histamine medications and other prescriptions. Still, it is important that you focus on removing the source of the irritation and symptoms from your home by calling in a professional mold remediation and removal company. A mold problem is never something that should be handled with a DIY approach, as doing so can be even more dangerous to your health.

If you’ve found mold in your home or would like to schedule a home mold inspection, Zona Restoration is here to help. We also offer mold remediation and removal services, as well as repair and restoration to suit your needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with our team!