The Real Dangers of Household Mold

Household Mold Removal Phoenix AZ

Mold is an aggressive and opportunistic type of fungus that thrives in damp, dark, and warm conditions. It can attach itself to different surfaces on your property and feed off of the organic material in your drywall and other household building materials. Under the right circumstances, mold can develop within 24 to 48 hours and spread quickly. You should address this problem as soon as you spot it because mold can cause health problems.

What are the Real Dangers of Having Mold in Your house?

Small quantities of mold don’t cause much harm because most human beings are naturally immunized to them. However, if you’re constantly exposed to excessive mold, you can face some serious health problems. Household mold might seem benign in small pockets, but it can spread quickly and compromise the air quality in your home.

1. Mild Exposure can Cause Allergic Reactions

Mild but constant exposure to mold can cause a number of health problems. People who’re more prone to allergies and have a sensitive constitution will react more severely to the presence of mold in the air. If you’re exposed to mold in your living environment, you might develop these reactions:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Headache
  • Tightness or constriction in the chest
  • Cough and painfully sore throat
  • Difficulty breathing or dyspnea
  • Asthma or exasperation of it.
  • Nosebleed or epistaxis
  • Upper respiratory tract infections
  • Skin and eye irritation

These are just some of the many problems mold can cause. While people prone to allergies tend to develop these symptoms more quickly, even people with stronger constitutions can show these symptoms after prolonged exposure.

2. Serious Health Problems Caused Due to Prolonged Exposure

If you allow the fungus to linger in your home environment for a long time, and don’t get house mold inspection done, you’ll face serious health problems. Certain strains and species of molds can cause serious health problems because they release mycotoxins, which are very potent and harmful. Continuous exposure to these toxins can cause dangerous diseases like:

  • Immunologic disorders
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
  • Pulmonary injury or bleeding
  • Endocrine or renal toxicities
  • Neurotoxicity

You’re especially at risk if mold from your environment settles in your food and you consume it.

3. Who Are Most Vulnerable to This?

Regardless of the state of your health, exposure to mold is unhealthy. However, some people are more vulnerable than others. Infants and small children, patients with immunological disorders, elderly, people recovering from surgeries and injuries, and individuals with respiratory conditions like asthma, etc., are more vulnerable to diseases and symptoms caused by excessive exposure to mold. Clean and healthy air in the living environment is absolutely essential to remain healthy.

As you can see, mold can place you and your family’s health in jeopardy and should be eliminated from your environment. While there are some effective DIY solutions you can use, we recommend that you hire a professional for house mold removal. Zona Restoration will have the right tools, techniques, and solutions to eliminate mold and help prevent their return.