The growth of mold inside commercial buildings and even inside residential homes is actually quite common, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is one fungus that thrives wherever there is moisture, making it an enthusiastic fan of bathrooms, HVAC systems, ductwork and even kitchens. Mold may form inside your air conditioner, along walls in rooms where there isn’t proper ventilation, and it can be hiding under cracked grout in your flooring. A leaky roof can spur the growth of mold inside ceiling tiles, so can improperly installed rain gutters. For the most part, this type of mold, while not ideal, won’t kill you, but it can cause health problems. You should always take care to safely remove any small areas of mold you come across. And it’s always prudent to do what you can to prevent mold growing. Mold, itself, is not toxic, though it’s often referred to as toxic mold. It can, however, be toxigenic, meaning it can produce toxins that will make you sick. For this reason, you don’t want to allow it to bask inside your residence or office building. A mold problem that occurs in large quantities, however, is a different story, and mold removal is vital. This situation generally occurs after a devastating event, such as flooding or fire. If your home has recently experienced either of these issues, or has suffered severe water damage from a storm that allowed large amounts of water to pool inside, it’s vital to call in a professional service to dry out your home and to repair or replace areas that can’t be safely salvaged. Here’s why:

Exposure to Mold Can Make You Sick

The most common illness associated with mold exposure is allergy. Many people experience hay-fever-like symptoms when exposed to mold spores. This can include sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, shortness of breath and more. Mold exposure has also been linked to the onset of asthma. Family members who have compromised or weak immune systems can develop infections, such as upper respiratory infections, from breathing in mold.

Some Types of Toxic Mold Can Make You Sicker

The growth of some types of indoor mold, stachybotrys chartarum, for instance, can wreak further havoc. Problems that affect breathing, vision, and skin can result from exposure to this fungus, although the impact is greater if the mold in ingested, as opposed to inhaled. S. chartarum grows all around the world, thriving in warm, wet climates. Long-term, in-home exposure to this toxic mold has been linked to pulmonary hemorrhage in infants younger than 6 months old. This can occur when families stay inside homes with heavy mold damage. For these reasons, it’s important to have your home professionally inspected after any type of severe water damage, even water leaks, and even if you don’t encounter visible mold. Professional mold remediation, though it may sound scary, is decidedly simple. And it’s a much better option than recovery from lung disease or fungal infections.

Zona Restoration Can Help You Breathe Easy Again

If you suspect you may have mold issues in the Tempe, Arizona area, contact Zona Restoration today. We are water damage repair and mold removal experts, and we’ll make your home safe again. You can breathe easy, knowing we’re on the job.